Here are some ways that I practice examen with my own children, ages 10, 9, and 5.
- Play “I Spy God” as you take a nature walk
- Ask for the high and low from their day at the dinner table
- During bedtime prayers, ask them how they know God loves them
- When I tell them I love them, I add that God loves them even more that I can
- During the “occasional” (HA!) opportunity to discipline or correct, I ask them to reflect on God’s feelings about their behavior. Then, I assure them that God always loves them and that God’s love asks them to live in love at all times.
How have you practiced examen with children?